Composition of Cabinet
Leader of the Council
Councillor John Clarke
· Overall strategy and delivery of agreed Council priorities and objectives.
· Oversight of all Cabinet responsibilities.
· Building and developing relationships with partners at a local, regional, national and international level to pursue matters of interest to the Council and the community.
· Representing the interests of the Council and the wider community on the Local Enterprise Partnership, Metro Board, East Midlands Councils, and other key strategic local, regional and national bodies.
· Oversight of the Council’s Partnership and Collaboration Agreements with key partners.
· Building and maintaining positive relationships with and between elected Members and employees.
· Promoting and encouraging effective corporate governance and the highest standards of probity.
· Emergency Planning.
· Strategic lead for Economic Development and Inward investment.
Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Resources & Reputation
Councillor Michael Payne
· Budget strategy, financial management and local taxation.
· Asset Management, including the Council’s investment property, sales and purchase of land.
· Climate change
· Communications, marketing and promotion.
· Media relations.
· Customer Services, information and communications technology, including digitalisation.
· Transformation of Council services, processes and governance.
· Social Mobility.
Portfolio Holder for Public Protection
Councillor David Ellis
· Crime Reduction and Community Safety.
· Public Protection.
· CCTV and RIPA.
· Environmental Health.
· Empty Properties
Portfolio Holder for Growth & Regeneration
Councillor Jenny Hollingsworth
· Planning policy, development management and building control.
· Town Centre management and development.
· Business improvement, local business engagement, promotion and support.
· Housing Development.
· Employment and Skills.
Portfolio Holder for Housing, Health & Well-being
Councillor Henry Wheeler
· Leisure Centres and Sports Development, including lead for sport and physical activity.
· Health Promotion and development.
· Bonington Theatre.
· Homelessness and Housing Needs.
· Council housing development.
· Housing and council tax benefits.
· Liaison with Public Health and Clinical Commissioning Group.
Portfolio Holder for Environment
Councillor Peter Barnes
· Waste Management and recycling.
· Street cleaning.
· Maintenance and development of parks, open spaces, cemeteries and Allotments.
· Pet cremation.
· Energy management and sustainability.
Portfolio Holder for Community Development
Councillor Gary Gregory
· Community centres.
· Neighbourhood Working.
· Community Events.
· Arts and culture.
· Community Engagement and Consultation, including liaison with the voluntary sector and Parish Councils.
· Members’ services, including member training and development.
Portfolio Holder for Young People and Equalities
Councillor Viv McCrossen
· Play and events for young people.
· Youth Council and Youth Mayor.
· Engagement and consultation with young people.
· Liaison with various bodies and agencies in relation to mental health.
· Support the Deputy Leader in the development of a Social Mobility Commission and delivery of agreed key actions.
· Work with the Portfolio holder for Growth and Regeneration in reducing levels of youth unemployment.
· Work with the Portfolio holder for Public Protection to reduce risk and fear of crime for young people.
All Portfolio-holders have the authority to:-
1) Make all executive decisions, within their area of responsibility, on matters which are not reserved to Cabinet and within the limitations of the Financial Procedure Rules.
2) Monitor service performance, within their area of responsibility and take action to improve performance where necessary, in conjunction with the relevant Director.
3) Respond to consultation documents received by the Council within their area of responsibility.
4) Approve policies and procedures within their area of responsibility.
5) Authorise the commencement of any proceedings in connection with any offences within their area of responsibility.
6) Determine fees and charges within their area of responsibility.
7) Make recommendations to the Cabinet, within their area of responsibility, on matters reserved to Cabinet.
When taking decisions, professional advice from officers, including the statutory officers, should be taken into account.
The Cabinet will be supported by the following Policy Advisors:
Policy Advisor for Regeneration, Recovery and Rural Affairs - Councillor Julie Najuk
Policy Advisor for Equalities, Diversity and Young People – Councillor Kathryn Fox
Policy Advisor for Environment and Climate Change – Councillor Ron McCrossen
Policy Advisor for Women, Domestic Abuse and Hate Crime – Councillor Rosa Keneally
Policy Advisor for Heritage and Homelessness – Councillor Des Gibbons
Policy Advisors will not hold delegated responsibility but will support their respective Cabinet member on development and progression of specific Gedling Plan actions as appropriate. The precise focus for the work of each Policy Advisor will be agreed by the Leader, Deputy Leader and relevant Cabinet member in discussion with the Policy Advisor.
Support officer: Alec Dubberley. Democratic Services Manager
Arnot Hill Park
Phone: 0115 901 3906
Web site: http://www.gedling.gov.uk