Search Gedling Borough Council's Website

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Committee Room. View directions

Contact: Lyndsey Parnell  Members' Services Officer

Items
No. Item

37.

Closed Youth Council Development Session

Minutes:

 A closed development session took place, during which Youth Councillors discussed the Code of Conduct, feedback from the Young People’s Board Meeting and an application that had been made to the Community Initiatives Fund.

 

38.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Leoncia Leonce-Martin, George Sullivan, Ashlea Pringle and Jay Fryer.

 

39.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 95 KB

Minutes:

A development session had been followed by a question and answer session in the Council Chamber with Gedling Borough Council Opposition Group Leaders Councillors Chris Barnfather and Paul Hughes.

Minutes were approved as a correct record.

 

40.

Youth Council and Theme Group work plan updates pdf icon PDF 57 KB

Members of the Youth Council will consider actions going forward, including:

 

  • Engagement of non-Youth Council members
  • Proposal to submit a question in support of anti- bullying to the Council Meeting April 2015 (Standing Order 8.)
  • Application to the Members Community Initiatives Fund
  • Youth Council work plan 2015/16

 

Minutes:

Arrangements for reporting feedback from sub groups: It was agreed that group spokespersons were needed who would be responsible for feeding back on progress to the larger group. Spokespeople were nominated and feedback given as follows:

 

Careers: Jessica O’Brien was nominated as the spokesperson for this group. Jessica reported that the group had met on a regular basis and the work they had been doing has been positive. The group had identified a range of activities to explore, including e a careers open-day. Louise Thompson of Careers Inspiration will be supporting the group and some good work will stem from these meetings. Jess has agreed to write a strategic framework based on two templates provided by Louise Thompson. Jess is also in the process of arranging a meeting with the ambassadors from the YouNG initiative, a careers website project run by young people for young people at Rushcliffe BC. Jane will also provide support to make this happen.

 

Bullying: Jed Brandreth was nominated as the spoke person for this group. He reported that the group had completed a lot of work on anti-bullying, including a presentation that the group has been working on for some time which will be shared in some way with the wider school network.

 

Jane reported that Councillor Wheeler had suggested the group consider putting a question to the next full Gedling Borough Council meeting on the subject of bullying. This was agreed. Jane gave the date of the Council meeting as Wednesday 8th April at 6pm in the Council Chamber. All youth council members agreed that they would try to attend and support the bullying theme group members. Holly Fallon expressed a wish to attend and contribute to this theme group. 

 

Action 1: Pav to ensure that the work of this group is linked up to the work of the Youth Parliament. He will speak to Aimee to get Jed’s ideas on board integrate it with some of the work that Pav/Aimee are doing on the anti-bullying, including the film project mentioned earlier.

 

Action 2: Jane to arrange a meeting of the bullying theme group for early the following week to prepare the question, as it must be submitted to the Chief Executive at least 6 days prior to the Council meeting itself.

 

Transport:Harry Gabb was nominated as the spokesperson for this group. He reported that the group had been participating in a Gedling Borough Council Scrutiny Review on Transport links to and within the Borough, which had now completed. The group had given a presentation to Councillors and partners on young people’s transport needs and had contributed their ideas to a series of Scrutiny Working Group meetings.

 

Action: Jane to ensure that the final report of the review is shared with the Transport Theme Group and the group is involved in monitoring progress of the recommendations. 

 

Youth Provision:Joshua Hill was nominated as the spokesperson for this group. He explained that they have a group set up but they are  ...  view the full minutes text for item 40.

41.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

MYP Election: Pav explained that elections have not quite finished yet as some school wanted extra time to finish the elections due to the exam timetable.

 

Pav went on to explain that he cannot favour any one individual in regards to their election campaign and all candidates need to campaign for themselves, with Pav providing general guidance and support. Candidates needing any help or guidance should get in touch with him.

 

Personal Details: Pav handed out the 2015-16 consent form to be completed and returned to Pav at the next meeting.

 

42.

Future Meetings of the Youth Council

Meetings will take place on a Wednesday evening. The next meeting takes place on:

 

Wednesday 13th May.

 

Meetings post May will be notified at the 13th May meeting of the Youth Council

 

Minutes:

 

Subgroup meetings: Pav and Jane will support subgroup meetings whenever possible.

 

Date of next meeting Wednesday 13th May 2015

 

Further meeting dates will be circulated on 13th May.

 

 


Back to Top